Showing 18145 results

Archival description
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

17697 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Mille Roches Public School - S.S. #4 - Grades 7-8 (3/4)

Mille Roches Public School - S.S. #4 - Grades 7-8 - May 12 1951
Front Row, L-R: John Richardson, Herbie Tranneor, Keith Dewar, Richard Burtenshaw, Bob Hickman, Lenneth Locey, Charlie Wilkins, Curtis Lielevre
Second Row, L-R: Bob Legue, Roch Ladouceur, James Telfor, Marion Robinson, Barbara Brickland, Bobbie Dewar, Morris Ladouceur, Saunders Bedford, Diane Dropery
Third Row, L-R: Keith Allinotte (partially hidden), Ernie Gowsell (between Bob Legue and Roch Ladouceur), Allen Loucks (black neckband on striped shirt), Sylvia Rae (print top with black hair), Ann McLellan (straight bangs on hair), Mickey Ladouceur (between Barbara Brickland and Bobbie Dewar), Raymond Bookout (between Bobbie Dewar and Morris Ladouceur), Claude Whitford (between Morris Ladouceur and Saunders Bedford), Roger Winters ( between Saunders Bedford and Diane Dropery)
Back Row, L-R: Leo Campbell, Charles Stansel, Shirley Mellon, Doreen Gardiner, Patsy Locey, Bonnie Henderson, Jack Silmser, Jack McIntosh, Bob Eamer, Arleen Robidoux
Floyd Barkley- Teacher - back centre

Mille Roches Public School - S.S. #4 - Grades 7-8 (2/4)

Mille Roches Public School - S.S. #4 - Grades 7-8 - May 12 1951
Front Row, L-R: John Richardson, Herbie Tranneor, Keith Dewar, Richard Burtenshaw, Bob Hickman, Lenneth Locey, Charlie Wilkins, Curtis Lielevre
Second Row, L-R: Bob Legue, Roch Ladouceur, James Telfor, Marion Robinson, Barbara Brickland, Bobbie Dewar, Morris Ladouceur, Saunders Bedford, Diane Dropery
Third Row, L-R: Keith Allinotte (partially hidden), Ernie Gowsell (between Bob Legue and Roch Ladouceur), Allen Loucks (black neckband on striped shirt), Sylvia Rae (print top with black hair), Ann McLellan (straight bangs on hair), Mickey Ladouceur (between Barbara Brickland and Bobbie Dewar), Raymond Bookout (between Bobbie Dewar and Morris Ladouceur), Claude Whitford (between Morris Ladouceur and Saunders Bedford), Roger Winters ( between Saunders Bedford and Diane Dropery)
Back Row, L-R: Leo Campbell, Charles Stansel, Shirley Mellon, Doreen Gardiner, Patsy Locey, Bonnie Henderson, Jack Silmser, Jack McIntosh, Bob Eamer, Arleen Robidoux
Floyd Barkley- Teacher - back centre

1926 School photo (2/2)

Mille Roches Public School - Teacher us Miss Mildred Walther (Mrs. Reid Manson) (at back) - c. 1926
Front Row, L-R: Mary Ellen Ramsay, Catherine McDonald, Doris Buchner, Frances Gowsell, Hilda Burtenshaw, Kenny Derousie, Millicent Burtenshaw, Theodore Raymond, Eddie Robertson
Second Row, L-R: Stanley McNairn, Walter Raymond Jimmy Cleary, Eva Martin, Mildred Legue, Eva Pidgeon, Leonard Pecore, Verna Windle, Johnny Terriah (behind Kenny Derousie), Leara Pecore (blonde hair), Maggie Legue (collar and black buttons on top), Ethel Pidgeon ( partially hidden), Allen Eastman (behind Eddie Robertson)
Third Row, L-R: Stanley Legue, Vince McDonald, Vernon Webster, Lorne Bush, Charlie Andrews, Doug Raymond, Ray McCormick, Claude Raymond
Back Row, L-R: Bob Lafave, Beatrice Depoe, Reid McDonald, Mack Thompson, Marshall Blackie, Cecil Andrews, Ewan MacMillan, Howard Stansel, Bill Stansel, Howard Eastman

1926 School photo (1/2)

Mille Roches Public School - Teacher us Miss Mildred Walther (Mrs. Reid Manson) (at back) - c. 1926
Front Row, L-R: Mary Ellen Ramsay, Catherine McDonald, Doris Buchner, Frances Gowsell, Hilda Burtenshaw, Kenny Derousie, Millicent Burtenshaw, Theodore Raymond, Eddie Robertson
Second Row, L-R: Stanley McNairn, Walter Raymond Jimmy Cleary, Eva Martin, Mildred Legue, Eva Pidgeon, Leonard Pecore, Verna Windle, Johnny Terriah (behind Kenny Derousie), Leara Pecore (blonde hair), Maggie Legue (collar and black buttons on top), Ethel Pidgeon ( partially hidden), Allen Eastman (behind Eddie Robertson)
Third Row, L-R: Stanley Legue, Vince McDonald, Vernon Webster, Lorne Bush, Charlie Andrews, Doug Raymond, Ray McCormick, Claude Raymond
Back Row, L-R: Bob Lafave, Beatrice Depoe, Reid McDonald, Mack Thompson, Marshall Blackie, Cecil Andrews, Ewan MacMillan, Howard Stansel, Bill Stansel, Howard Eastman

Mille Roches Public School - S.S. #4 - Grades 7-8 (1/4)

Mille Roches Public School - S.S. #4 - Grades 7-8 - May 12 1951
Front Row, L-R: John Richardson, Herbie Tranneor, Keith Dewar, Richard Burtenshaw, Bob Hickman, Lenneth Locey, Charlie Wilkins, Curtis Lielevre
Second Row, L-R: Bob Legue, Roch Ladouceur, James Telfor, Marion Robinson, Barbara Brickland, Bobbie Dewar, Morris Ladouceur, Saunders Bedford, Diane Dropery
Third Row, L-R: Keith Allinotte (partially hidden), Ernie Gowsell (between Bob Legue and Roch Ladouceur), Allen Loucks (black neckband on striped shirt), Sylvia Rae (print top with black hair), Ann McLellan (straight bangs on hair), Mickey Ladouceur (between Barbara Brickland and Bobbie Dewar), Raymond Bookout (between Bobbie Dewar and Morris Ladouceur), Claude Whitford (between Morris Ladouceur and Saunders Bedford), Roger Winters ( between Saunders Bedford and Diane Dropery)
Back Row, L-R: Leo Campbell, Charles Stansel, Shirley Mellon, Doreen Gardiner, Patsy Locey, Bonnie Henderson, Jack Silmser, Jack McIntosh, Bob Eamer, Arleen Robidoux
Floyd Barkley- Teacher - back centre

17 Mille Roches Road

This house at 17 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault, was built by Hugh and Alice (Allie) Warner in the 1920s at Mille Roches. In the Ontario- Hydro relocation in the 1950s, it was identified as SL 408 and the 48th moved into Long Sault. Mr. & Mrs. Warner left the house on September 7, 1956 and stayed at "Stop-over House" #64, 4 Frost Avenue. The house was lifted off its foundation and moved on September 11, 1956, and placed on its new foundation the following day. Hugh and Allie returned to the house on September 14, 1956. The relocation of this home became Ontario-Hydro's iconic photograph, for images have been used in many publications. It was moved with the brick exterior, fireplace, and brick verandah posts intact. It has been said the Hugh Warner would not allow for any knotty boards to be used in its construction, and the stair-case and room trim is of British Columbia fir. Jim & Paulette Brownell bought this home from the Warner estate in 1976, then sold to Bernard Gagne in 1988. Jim & Helen (Dawkes) Brown bought this house in 1996 then sold to Bernard & Osithe LeBlanc in 2000.

Manson Warner house

This was the Manson Warner home from Mille Roches. This house was purchased from Ontario Hydro by Farrell Brown of Moulinette and moved to its Highway #2 location, east of Lakeview Heights, in October 1957. Ardell House Movers was contracted by Farrell Brown and a Barnhart family lived in the house at Mille Roches, at the time of its move. Farrell and Elva Brown and their two sons, Bill and Mike, lived in this relocated house until the completion of his new home in Long Sault, at the corner of Bethune and Kent Avenues.

The John Manson home

The John Manson home at Mille Roches. This Seaway house was the former John G. (1873-1954) & Caroline "Carrie" Frances (Osier) (1886-1971) Manson home from Mille Roches. Because this house was relocated through a non-Hydro moving company, we have little information on it. It was identified as SL 308, and it was moved to Lot 458, at 27 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault. This was a brick house in Mille Roches, but, before the relocation, the verandah and bricks were removed. It was moved as a frame building, then new siding and reconfigured verandah added at its new location.
Many will remember Lola June May (Waite) Manson- Corcoran-Baiks (1905-1994) residing in this home at Long Sault. She was John and Carrie Manson's daughter-in-law, having been married to George B. Manson (1907-1927).
For many years, this was the family home of Robert (Bob) and Kathleen (Quinn) Charlebois.

Vince Ross' Barber Shop

Vince Ross' Barber Shop at right. Mary (McGillis) Ross in front of the grocery store and meat market, first owned by James MacGillivray, then James Hickman and Jean-Paul Touchette. Mille Roches United Church Hall at left. Photo c. early 1940s

United Church Hall

Mille Roches United Church Hall at left in the distance. Mary (McGillis) Ross in front of James MacGillivray's Store and Meatmarket. Lawrence (Lanny) Ross on tricycle in front of Vince Ross' Barber Shop, his uncle. Mary, Austin and Lanny Ross lived in the apartment over the barber shop. Photo c. early 1940s

Mille Roches Hockey Club

Mille Roches Hockey Club - c. late 1940s
Wallace (Wally) Barker - Time-keeper
Front L-R: Alfred Wilkins, Heber Robertson, Ralph Freeman, Carl Conway, Charlie Gallagher, Bob Germain, John Lafave, Graham Barkley, Harold Gallagher
Back, L-R: Bob McLellan, Charlie McMillan, Wallace Loucks, Arnold Loucks, Ernest Robertson, Maurice Conway, Hubert Contact

Business section of Mille Roches

Business section of Mille Roches c. 1950. Businesses from left to right: IGA Supermarket, operated by Hickman and Touchette; Vince Ross Barber Shop with residence at back and apartment upstairs; Garnet Derousie Hardware Store
Alexander (Alex) McLellan behind snowbank.

Mille Roches from Canal 1900s

Circa 1900 photo of downtown Mille Roches at the curve in Highway #2. Mille Roches is a French language term meaning "Thousand Rocks", thought to have originated with the rocks of the quarries of Mille Roches

Adam Dixson Avenue

Photo taken c. 1957 showing north side of Adam Dixson Avenue
The house at left is the home of Mark Whaley and Patti Adams of 3 Adam Dixson Avenue, Long Sault. It was moved to Townsite #2 from the village of Mille Roches, the home of Mr. & Mrs. Austin W. Abbott. This was the 10th house moved into Long Sault and identified as SL 375. The family left the house on July 26, 1956, and the house was lifted from its foundation and moved to Lot 393 on July 31, 1956. The house was placed on its new foundation on August 1, 1956, and the Abbott family moved into their relocated home on that same day. While the relocation was taking place, the family stayed in Stop-over house #158, just two properties east of the Abbott home on Adam Dixson Avenue. Subsequent owners of this relocated home included Dwight & Mary (Brownell) Lafave and Eric Sturgeon.
The house behind the car is the Douglas Forbes home from Mille Roches. Ontario-Hydro purchased the house from Mr. Forbes, although he relocated with it. It was the 9th house moved in the relocations, and identified as SL 94. The Forbes family vacated the house on July 25, 1956, and the stayed at Stop-over house SL 350 at Mille Roches. The house was moved on July 26, 1956, and placed on its new foundation on Lot 393 on the same day of the move. The Forbes family returned to their home on August 1, 1956. In 2021, this home at 5 Adam Dixson Avenue is owned by Myrna (Bedford) Alguire
The next "Seaway" house at 7 Adam Dixson Avenue was owned by Alois and Gladys Buchner of Mille Roches and the 22 house moved to Long Sault, on Lot 391. This house was identified as SL 158, and, after its move Ontario-Hydro used it as one of their "Stop-over " houses, where families affected by the relocation could stay, free of charge while their homes were being moved. The house was lifted off its foundation at Mille Roches by Hartshorne House Movers on August 13, 1956 and placed on its new foundation the following day. On November 15, 1957, the house was rented to the Robin Cross family, until the completion of the construction of their new home and business, - the Long Sault Marina. For years, the Hawkshaw family lived in this home on Adam Dixson, then Ted and Dorothy Barlow resided here for many years. In 2020, Brock McBride purchased and upgraded the house for a rental

St. Lawrence Power Operators' house

St. Lawrence Power Operators' house being moved through Mille Roches from Maple Grove. Mille Roches business section at left with burned out restaurant owned by Everett Bush. The Provincial Paper Mill water-tower is at left in the distance. Garnet Cook's Texaco Service Station on right.
This house was the second house moved into Long Sault, and it became Ontario-Hydro's relocation office at 35 Bethune Avenue. Its identity number was SL 701, and it was moved to Lot 366 in Townsite #2 on July 18, 1956, and placed on its new foundation the following day. A Benns family lived in this house shortly after being used as the Hydro office, then the Taplay family. David and Linda Synott and family lived here for many years. In 2021, Mario and Amy Kraemer Gibeault and family call this Seaway house their "Home"

Results 1 to 25 of 18145