Showing 2081 results

Archival description
The Lost Villages Museum
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

2063 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

17 Mille Roches Road

This house at 17 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault, was built by Hugh and Alice (Allie) Warner in the 1920s at Mille Roches. In the Ontario- Hydro relocation in the 1950s, it was identified as SL 408 and the 48th moved into Long Sault. Mr. & Mrs. Warner left the house on September 7, 1956 and stayed at "Stop-over House" #64, 4 Frost Avenue. The house was lifted off its foundation and moved on September 11, 1956, and placed on its new foundation the following day. Hugh and Allie returned to the house on September 14, 1956. The relocation of this home became Ontario-Hydro's iconic photograph, for images have been used in many publications. It was moved with the brick exterior, fireplace, and brick verandah posts intact. It has been said the Hugh Warner would not allow for any knotty boards to be used in its construction, and the stair-case and room trim is of British Columbia fir. Jim & Paulette Brownell bought this home from the Warner estate in 1976, then sold to Bernard Gagne in 1988. Jim & Helen (Dawkes) Brown bought this house in 1996 then sold to Bernard & Osithe LeBlanc in 2000.

1926 School photo (1/2)

Mille Roches Public School - Teacher us Miss Mildred Walther (Mrs. Reid Manson) (at back) - c. 1926
Front Row, L-R: Mary Ellen Ramsay, Catherine McDonald, Doris Buchner, Frances Gowsell, Hilda Burtenshaw, Kenny Derousie, Millicent Burtenshaw, Theodore Raymond, Eddie Robertson
Second Row, L-R: Stanley McNairn, Walter Raymond Jimmy Cleary, Eva Martin, Mildred Legue, Eva Pidgeon, Leonard Pecore, Verna Windle, Johnny Terriah (behind Kenny Derousie), Leara Pecore (blonde hair), Maggie Legue (collar and black buttons on top), Ethel Pidgeon ( partially hidden), Allen Eastman (behind Eddie Robertson)
Third Row, L-R: Stanley Legue, Vince McDonald, Vernon Webster, Lorne Bush, Charlie Andrews, Doug Raymond, Ray McCormick, Claude Raymond
Back Row, L-R: Bob Lafave, Beatrice Depoe, Reid McDonald, Mack Thompson, Marshall Blackie, Cecil Andrews, Ewan MacMillan, Howard Stansel, Bill Stansel, Howard Eastman

1926 School photo (2/2)

Mille Roches Public School - Teacher us Miss Mildred Walther (Mrs. Reid Manson) (at back) - c. 1926
Front Row, L-R: Mary Ellen Ramsay, Catherine McDonald, Doris Buchner, Frances Gowsell, Hilda Burtenshaw, Kenny Derousie, Millicent Burtenshaw, Theodore Raymond, Eddie Robertson
Second Row, L-R: Stanley McNairn, Walter Raymond Jimmy Cleary, Eva Martin, Mildred Legue, Eva Pidgeon, Leonard Pecore, Verna Windle, Johnny Terriah (behind Kenny Derousie), Leara Pecore (blonde hair), Maggie Legue (collar and black buttons on top), Ethel Pidgeon ( partially hidden), Allen Eastman (behind Eddie Robertson)
Third Row, L-R: Stanley Legue, Vince McDonald, Vernon Webster, Lorne Bush, Charlie Andrews, Doug Raymond, Ray McCormick, Claude Raymond
Back Row, L-R: Bob Lafave, Beatrice Depoe, Reid McDonald, Mack Thompson, Marshall Blackie, Cecil Andrews, Ewan MacMillan, Howard Stansel, Bill Stansel, Howard Eastman

1939 Mille Roches Public School photo (1/2)

Mille Roches Public School - c. 1939
Student: 1- ?; 2- ?; 3- Eunice Young; 4- ?; 5- Isobel McLellan; 6- Marie Stansel; 7- Ivalu Hartle; 8- Marguerite Touchette; 9- Raphael Quenneville; 10- Lawrence Welch; 11- Lorne MacMillan; 12- James Forbes; 13- Archie McLellan; 14- ?; Floyd Buchner

1939 Mille Roches Public School photo (2/2)

Mille Roches Public School - c. 1939
Student: 1- ?; 2- ?; 3- Eunice Young; 4- ?; 5- Isobel McLellan; 6- Marie Stansel; 7- Ivalu Hartle; 8- Marguerite Touchette; 9- Raphael Quenneville; 10- Lawrence Welch; 11- Lorne MacMillan; 12- James Forbes; 13- Archie McLellan; 14- ?; Floyd Buchner

A game of shinny on Cornwall Canal

A game of shinny on the frozen Cornwall Canal behind the Lakeview Cheese Factory - March 1955. Dark sided house with white door was the William (Bill) MacDonald family home. The white house backing on the canal is that of the Ernie Robertson family.

Adam Dixson Avenue

Photo taken c. 1957 showing north side of Adam Dixson Avenue
The house at left is the home of Mark Whaley and Patti Adams of 3 Adam Dixson Avenue, Long Sault. It was moved to Townsite #2 from the village of Mille Roches, the home of Mr. & Mrs. Austin W. Abbott. This was the 10th house moved into Long Sault and identified as SL 375. The family left the house on July 26, 1956, and the house was lifted from its foundation and moved to Lot 393 on July 31, 1956. The house was placed on its new foundation on August 1, 1956, and the Abbott family moved into their relocated home on that same day. While the relocation was taking place, the family stayed in Stop-over house #158, just two properties east of the Abbott home on Adam Dixson Avenue. Subsequent owners of this relocated home included Dwight & Mary (Brownell) Lafave and Eric Sturgeon.
The house behind the car is the Douglas Forbes home from Mille Roches. Ontario-Hydro purchased the house from Mr. Forbes, although he relocated with it. It was the 9th house moved in the relocations, and identified as SL 94. The Forbes family vacated the house on July 25, 1956, and the stayed at Stop-over house SL 350 at Mille Roches. The house was moved on July 26, 1956, and placed on its new foundation on Lot 393 on the same day of the move. The Forbes family returned to their home on August 1, 1956. In 2021, this home at 5 Adam Dixson Avenue is owned by Myrna (Bedford) Alguire
The next "Seaway" house at 7 Adam Dixson Avenue was owned by Alois and Gladys Buchner of Mille Roches and the 22 house moved to Long Sault, on Lot 391. This house was identified as SL 158, and, after its move Ontario-Hydro used it as one of their "Stop-over " houses, where families affected by the relocation could stay, free of charge while their homes were being moved. The house was lifted off its foundation at Mille Roches by Hartshorne House Movers on August 13, 1956 and placed on its new foundation the following day. On November 15, 1957, the house was rented to the Robin Cross family, until the completion of the construction of their new home and business, - the Long Sault Marina. For years, the Hawkshaw family lived in this home on Adam Dixson, then Ted and Dorothy Barlow resided here for many years. In 2020, Brock McBride purchased and upgraded the house for a rental

Aerial view Mille Roches

Aerial view of Mille Roches, with Sheek Island and Old Mille Roches at left. The Cornwall Canal is below the Swing-bridge and Bergin Lake above. Photo taken c. late-1940s

Aerial view of Mille Roches (1/2)

Aerial view of Mille Roches - Mille Roches Swing-bridge to Sheek Island at bottom, with Bergin Lake above bridge and Cornwall Canal below. Highway #2, Mille Roches' Main Street extends diagonally across the photo, with the Provincial Paper Mill and Mille Roches Arena clearly evident in the photo

Aerial view of Mille Roches (2/2)

Aerial view of Mille Roches - Mille Roches Swing-bridge to Sheek Island at bottom, with Bergin Lake above bridge and Cornwall Canal below. Highway #2, Mille Roches' Main Street extends diagonally across the photo, with the Provincial Paper Mill and Mille Roches Arena clearly evident in the photo

Aerial view of Mille Roches Powerhouse (1/3)

Mille Roches Powerhouse at centre of this aerial photo, operated by St. Lawrence Power. Swing Bridge from the mainland (top) to Sheek Island, with old Mille Roches across the water from the Powerhouse. Bergin Lake is at the left, behind the dyke. The Cornwall Canal extends to the east and west of the swing Bridge, with St. George's Roman Catholic Chapel at top centre. Mille Roches Public School is to the left of the church, and Lakeview Cheese Factory is across Highway #2 from the school. Photo c. 1940s

Aerial View of Mille Roches, with Swing-bridge

Aerial View of Mille Roches, with Swing-bridge on the Cornwall Canal. The canal is below the bridge, with Bergin Lake above. Old Mille Roches is at the left, with the Mille Roches Powerhouse at top left. Highway #2 extends along the right side of the photo, with St. George's Roman Catholic, Mille Roches Public School S.S.#4, and Provincial Paper Mill at top right

Results 1 to 25 of 2081