Print preview Close

Showing 2063 results

Archival description
Lost Villages Museum Collection With digital objects
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Alex and Florence McLellan

Alex and Florence McLellan, Mille Roches, celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversay in 1965. Alex was born on April 19, 1890, and married Florence O'Connell of Finch, Ontario, in 1915. They had a family of 10 children

Hugh and Edith Alice (Gill) Warner

Hugh and Edith Alice (Gill) Warner at 17 Mille Roches Road in Long Sault when they celebrated their 60th Wedding Anniversary in 1967. Hugh worked at the Provincial Paper Mill at Mille Roches, and Alice (Allie) was very involved with the Women's Institute

Demolition of Mille Roches Powerhouse

Top left - Demolition of Mille Roches Powerhouse on Sheek Island - c. 1958
Top right - The Weir at Sheek Island - controls water level of Bergin Lake, separating Sheek Island from "The Foot" of Island
Bottom left - Swing Bridge between Sheek Island and mainland - c. 1930

Inundation Day at Mille Roches

Residents of Mille Roches watch their community inundated on July 1, 1958. The swing-bridge from the mainland to Sheek Island (centre left) was affixed to pontoons, allowed to rise with the flood waters, then floated downstream to the Montreal area.

Floyd E. Barkley

Floyd E. Barkley standing on the site of his home at Mille Roches as the water covers the former village on Inundation Day, July 1, 1958

"Old Faithful" - The Moccasin

  • "Old Faithful" - The Moccasin - This steam locomotive was the Grand Trunk Railroad/Canadian National Railroad No. 5280, powering the train that ran the St. Lawrence River route west of Montreal, ending its service on August 10, 1958 after more than 100 years of service. It was a passenger train and known for its punctuality, although it was the "milk" train, delivering milk to Montreal, daily, used by students to travel to Cornwall's Cornwall Collegiate Institute/Cornwall Collegiate and Vocational School, and used as the mail train. Many Mohawks of Akwesasne traveled on this train to the reed beds of Rice Lake (Peterborough, Ontario area), with many wearing moccasins. Hence, the name "The Moccasin".

Manson Warner house

This was the Manson Warner home from Mille Roches. This house was purchased from Ontario Hydro by Farrell Brown of Moulinette and moved to its Highway #2 location, east of Lakeview Heights, in October 1957. Ardell House Movers was contracted by Farrell Brown and a Barnhart family lived in the house at Mille Roches, at the time of its move. Farrell and Elva Brown and their two sons, Bill and Mike, lived in this relocated house until the completion of his new home in Long Sault, at the corner of Bethune and Kent Avenues.

Manson Warner home

This was the Manson Warner home from Mille Roches. This house was purchased from Ontario Hydro by Farrell Brown of Moulinette and moved to its Highway #2 location, east of Lakeview Heights, in October 1957. Brian Ardell House Movers was contracted by Farrell Brown and a Barnhart family lived in the house at Mille Roches, at the time of its move. Farrell and Elva Brown and their two boys, Bill and Mike, lived in this relocated house until the completion of their new home in Long Sault, at the corner of Bethune and Kent Avenues.

Results 1 to 25 of 2063