The Richard M Gibbons Collection Volume 2 Photo 054
- LVMC-RMGCv2-054
- Item
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
3852 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
The Richard M Gibbons Collection Volume 2 Photo 054
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
The Richard M Gibbons Collection Volume 2 Photo 056
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
The Richard M Gibbons Collection Volume 2 Photo 057
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
The Richard M Gibbons Collection Volume 2 Photo 078
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
The Richard M Gibbons Collection Volume 2 Photo 079
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
The Richard M Gibbons Collection Volume 2 Photo 080
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
The Richard M Gibbons Collection Volume 2 Photo 081
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Looking over the ruins of the New Year's Eve fire 1938-39
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Looking over the ruins of the New Year's Eve fire 1938-39, with Stanley Fleming's brick home behind destruction.
Creek at the St. George's Chapel
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Creek between the St. George's Chapel property on the left, and the Jim Sheets' residential property on the right - c. 1940s
Hugh and Alice (Allie) Warner's home
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
This house at 17 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault, was built by Hugh and Alice (Allie) Warner in the 1920s at Mille Roches. In the Ontario- Hydro relocation in the 1950s, it was identified as SL 408 and the 48th moved into Long Sault. Mr. & Mrs. Warner left the house on September 7, 1956 and stayed at "Stop-over House" #64, 4 Frost Avenue. The house was lifted off its foundation and moved on September 11, 1956, and placed on its new foundation the following day. Hugh and Allie returned to the house on September 14, 1956. The relocation of this home became Ontario-Hydro's iconic photograph, for images have been used in many publications. It was moved with the brick exterior, fireplace, and brick verandah posts intact. It has been said the Hugh Warner would not allow for any knotty boards to be used in its construction, and the stair-case and room trim is of British Columbia fir. Jim & Paulette Brownell bought this home from the Warner estate in 1976, then sold to Bernard Gagne in 1988. Jim & Helen (Dawkes) Brown bought this house in 1996 then sold to Bernard & Osithe LeBlanc in 2000.
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Mille Roches Arena - Top photo c. 1940s; Bottom photo - 1958
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Dismantled Mille Roches Arena
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Mille Roches Arena - photo c. early 1950s
Aerial view of Mille Roches. Highway #2
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Aerial view of Mille Roches. Highway #2 is alongside the frozen Bergin Lake with the Grand Trunk Railway/Canadian National Railway extending from mid-left to top right. The Mille Roches Arena is at the centre of the photo
Howard E. Stansel and Dalton Vipond
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Howard E. Stansel, Mille Roches, and Dalton Vipond - c. WWII. The house behind these Servicemen was the 45th house relocated to Long Sault by Ontario-Hydro. It was originally located in Mille Roches, the home of Ross and Beatrice Alguire and family, although it was often identified as the Rossie Murdock family home and Russell Elliott family home. Mr. Murdock operated a store next door. The house was identified as SL 396 and moved to Lot 461 in Long Sault. The Alguire family left their home on August 30, 1956, and stayed at the Hydro "Stop-over " house at 33 Bethune Street, during the relocation. The house was moved on August 31,1956, and placed on its new foundation at 21 Mille Roches Road on September 5, 1956. The Alguire family returned to the house on September 7, 1956. We are not sure why it took so long to be placed on the new foundation. This was the Lyall Alguire family home for over a decade, and the Dunlop/D'Annibale family have lived here for many years, as well.
Provincial Paper Mill on Highway #2
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Provincial Paper Mill in Mille Roches. Highway #2 in front of mill
Aerial View of Mille Roches, with Swing-bridge
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Aerial View of Mille Roches, with Swing-bridge on the Cornwall Canal. The canal is below the bridge, with Bergin Lake above. Old Mille Roches is at the left, with the Mille Roches Powerhouse at top left. Highway #2 extends along the right side of the photo, with St. George's Roman Catholic, Mille Roches Public School S.S.#4, and Provincial Paper Mill at top right
Downside view of the Mille Roches Powerhouse
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Downside view of the Mille Roches Powerhouse
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
View of the Mille Roches Powerhouse from the west side or front of the building
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Mille Roches - c. 1941. View north from the park west of swing bridge on the south side of the bridge, Provincial Paper Mill, wharf (swimming hole), and Joe Robertson house, the first house west of the paper mill
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
This was the Manson Warner home from Mille Roches. This house was purchased from Ontario Hydro by Farrell Brown of Moulinette and moved to its Highway #2 location, east of Lakeview Heights, in October 1957. Brian Ardell House Movers was contracted by Farrell Brown and a Barnhart family lived in the house at Mille Roches, at the time of its move. Farrell and Elva Brown and their two boys, Bill and Mike, lived in this relocated house until the completion of their new home in Long Sault, at the corner of Bethune and Kent Avenues.
Inundation Day at Mille Roches
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Residents of Mille Roches watch their community inundated on July 1, 1958. The swing-bridge from the mainland to Sheek Island (centre left) was affixed to pontoons, allowed to rise with the flood waters, then floated downstream to the Montreal area.
Recycled paper sorting at the Provincial Paper Mill
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Recycled paper sorting in the Sorting Room at the Provincial Paper Mill, Mille Roches. Photo taken in the late 1940s. Marie (Gallagher) Stansel at front left and Uella Raymond, front right. At back left, behind bale of paper, is Hilda Denny, with Theresa (Brownell) Sprague at back, wearing black head piece. Luva (Denny) Miller is standing at a sorting box near the back right. Others unidentified
Swing-bridge over the Cornwall Canal
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Swing-bridge over the Cornwall Canal at Mille Roches. This bridge connected Old Mille Roches, the Mille Roches Powerhouse, and Sheek Island to the mainland. The swing-bridge operator's building is behind the bridge at Old Mille Roches.
Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
This is the Isaac Fleming home from Mille Roches, but commonly associated with the Ezra Johnston family. Ezra Johnston's daughter, Ethel, and her husband, Cecil MacMillan, MacMillan resided in this home at the time of its relocation to Long Sault. The house was the 81st house moved to Long Sault and identified as SL 400. The MacMillan family left the house on October 10, 1956 and stayed with friends during the relocation. It was moved on October 18, 1956, and placed on its new foundation on October 23, 1956, when the MacMillan family returned to their home. Cecil and Ethel MacMillan vacated for their new home at 4 Gray Avenue, Long Sault, on May 8, 1957. The house was then rented to the Kenneth Barnhart family on July 29, 1957.