Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
This Seaway House was not relocated from Mille Roches to Long Sault by the Hartshorne House Moving Company, hired by Ontario-Hydro. While we do not know the name of the company that moved it, we do know that the verandah and bricks were removed from it, prior to the move. Today, the house stands on Lot 377, 28 Bethune Avenue, Long Sault. This house was the home of the W.G. Bennett family, overlooking Bergin Lake at Mille Roches. Mr. Bennett was a partner in The Bennett & Messecar Co., Limited, along with Dr. J.W. Messecar. These two men were manufacturing chemists, wholesale druggists, and sold cheese-making supplies to cheese factories. They worked from a lab in downtown Mille Roches, with their business being established in 1890. Gregor Bennett also owned this home. Evidence has been found that a McEvoy family lived in this home at Mille Roches, prior to its move, and many will remember this home as the residence of Miss Ruth Gaslin, daughter of William David & Mary Ann (McEvoy). Ruth Gaslin relocated to this residence in Long Sault, following its move, with Hubert & Bernadette (Quesnel) McAlear and family residing here as well. Many will remember Ruth Gaslin as the first principal at St. George's Separate School in Long Sault, situated across Bethune Avenue from her home. Mr. & Mrs. Ray Glenn have been long-time residents at this home, and many will remember the Blodgett family living here, prior to the Glenn family.