Print preview Close

Showing 2063 results

Archival description
Lost Villages Museum Collection With digital objects
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Garnet Gallinger

Top left - Garnet Gallinger; Albert Andrews - custodian at Mille Roches Public School - shown in background; Beatrice Locey - later married Arthur Brownell
Top right - A Gowsell family home at Mille Roches
Bottom left - S.S. Delphine, a 258 foot yacht built for Horace and Anna Dodge, by the Great Lakes Engineering Works. It was named after Horace and Anna's daughter, and launched in 1921. This photo is c. 1940s
Bottom right - A Gowsell family home at Mille Roches

Brooks Brothers

The Brooks Brothers from Sheek Island at Old Mille Roches. They had a furniture manufacturing business, there. Photo c. 1940s- Boat named "Rambler"

Class at Mille Roches Public School

Top - Class at Mille Roches Public School in the 1940s
Second Row - left -Sheila Chant, Mille Roches
Second Row - right - Class at Mille Roches Public School in the 1940s
Third Row - left - Brooks brothers of Old Mille Roches, with Helen Wert - c. 1940s
Third Row - right - Class from Mille Roches Public School - St. George's Roman Catholic Chapel in background - c. 1940s
Bottom - This house, now at 4 Frost Avenue, Long Sault, was the 4th house moved in the Ontario Hydro relocation of the 1950s. The house was moved from Maple Grove where it had been built on the Allan Robertson farm by George Devitt and Allan Robertson's daughter Ada (Robertson) DeWitt. Following the passing of George Devitt, Ada married Stanley G. Williams. This house was identified as SL 64, and it was lifted from its foundation at Maple Grove on July 23, 1956. The following day, it was placed on its new concrete block foundation on Lot 277, Long Sault. This house served as a "Stop-over House" for those requiring accommodations while homes were being moved. John and Dorothy Thompson rented the house from Ontario Hydro on July 22, 1957, eventually purchasing it in 1960. Donna and Thomas Reed have made this house their "home" since 2006.

Quarry downstream of the dyke and powerhouse

Top photo - Quarry downstream of the dyke and powerhouse at old Mille Roches. The dyke and powerhouse created a head-pond known as Bergin Lake
Middle photo - View west towards the swing-bridge between Sheek Island (old Mille Roches) and mainland. Photo taken from a location near the cheese factory
Bottom photo - Taken from North canal Bank looking south, about half a mile east of swing-bridge. The full exposed house was that of William Raymond, Jr. - photos c. 1940s

Home of Alexander and Florence McLellan

Mille Roches home of Alexander and Florence McLellan, Mille Roches - c. late 1940s. The McLellan's were bee keepers, and operated Treasure Island Honey Farm. Alex was employed by St. Lawrence Power Co., at the Mille Roches Powerhouse. The McLellan family sold their home to Ontario-Hydro, and they moved to Cornwall. The house was vacant at the time of its move, and it was the 38th house moved to Townsite #2. It was identified as SL 331 and moved on August 24, 1956. It was placed on its new foundation on Lot 351 on August 27, 1956. Ontario-Hydro exchanged this house with Gower Stephenson for the one he owned, - SL 436, on July 27, 1957. Garfield "Doc" and Ethel Heard and family lived at this residence in Long Sault at 9 Frost Avenue, then, it became the home of George and Keitha Strachan and family, for many years.

Provincial Paper Mill near Bergin Lake

Provincial Paper Mill near Bergin Lake, Mille Roches - This mill started as the St. Lawrence Paper Co., with the first stone laid for the structure on Tuesday, February 23, 1904. The mill had a major expansion by Provincial Abitibi in the early 1940s and had 100 employees. It was known as the Provincial Paper Mill. The workforce increased to approximately 200, before its closure in the mid-1950s. The equipment and many from the workforce moved to Thorold, Ontario.

Home Economics Class

Home Economics Class at Mille Roches Public School - 1940s. This photo was taken on the east school yard, with St. George's Roman Catholic Chapel in the background.

Provincial Paper Mill and Bergin Lake

Top left - Provincial Paper Mill water-tower toppled and cut up for scrap - Mille Roches
Top right - Photo taken be Fred H. Green, on Bergin Lake and behind Alkerton's Service Station. The person in the boat is unidentified, but the building behind her head is the Howard Manson Block. That's the Manson Warner Block to the right of the photo. Photo c. 1940s
Bottom left - Provincial Paper Mill water tower has collapsed to the ground - c. mid-1950s
Bottom right - Shoeing a horse at Mille Roches. Photo taken by Fred H. Green - c. 1940s

View of Mille Roches across Bergin Lake

View of Mille Roches across Bergin Lake from Frying Pan Island. The structures from left to right: Tait Estate - St. George's Anglican Hall, Rodney Silmser home and tourist cabins, Cecil MacMillan home, George Derousie home, Joe Robertson home, and Fire Truck garage at right.

Howard Manson Block

Howard Manson Block, Mille Roches, with Stanley Fleming's home at left. Morris Fyckes had a General Store and Post Office in this building. This store was originally built in 1842, but was destroyed by fire in the 1938-39 New Year's Eve fire. It was rebuilt in 1940

Mille Roches United Church

Top left- Mille Roches United Church - c. 1940s
Top right - One of the last remaining structures still standing at Mille Roches in 1958. In the background is the dyke, created to hold the waters of Lake St. Lawrence
Bottom left - Mille Roches United Church awaits its demolition. The barn is on the property of Messecar/McCartney - photo c. 1958
Bottom right - Crusher at Mille Roches Quarry - c. late 1800s

Results 101 to 125 of 2063