Part of Lost Villages Museum Collection
Top left- A 1928 photo of the Sauve children from Mille Roches. Jeanette M. Sauve (L) born 1927; Semon Sauve (R) born 1926
Top right - This building at 7 Frost Avenue, Long Sault, was the former Dr. J.W. Messecar home and office at Mille Roches, as well as the home of Louise McCartney. Brian McCartney, esteemed teacher and musician, has memories of life in this home, overlooking Bergin Lake. This was the 85th house moved into Long Sault, and it was identified as SL 471. This house was vacant at the time of its move from Mille Roches on October 19, 1956. Ten days later, it was placed on its new foundation on Lot 352. Following its move, this house was used as an office for the Chamber of Commerce, served as a depot for the Bank of Montreal until the Long Sault Shopping Centre was completed, and served as a school for students destined for the new St. George's Separate School on Bethune Avenue. For a period of time, until its conversion to Branch #569, Royal Canadian Legion, this dwelling served as the base for many community activities, including Bill Barker's Square Dance lessons for school children.
Bottom left - Mille Roches Swing-bridge- connecting mainland to Sheek Island, over the Cornwall Canal. Bergin Lake in the foreground.
Bottom right - 1942 ice storm at Mille Roches